While there is no designated space for food trucks to congregate in Bryan – College Station, the twin cities are bustling with a full event calendar in which food trucks continue to play a large part of. If you’ve ever dreamed about bringing a beloved recipe or a new, innovative product to the masses, you may wonder how to get started. Use this checklist as an outline of the process.
- Obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number. You will need this if you hire employees, open a business bank account, file tax returns and to comply with regulations. https://ein.e-forms.us/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=ein%20register&Param2=IRS%20E.I.N
- Obtain a Texas Sales Tax Permit
You need this to sell goods in Texas. Read more here:
- Acquire your mobile truck, cart or stand. For equipment and installation we recommend KESCO: (979) 779-6473
- Obtain insurance. Renegade BCS requires a certificate of insurance with a minimum of $1,000,000 commercial general liability insurance with Renegade Bakery & Culinary Studio LLC listed as additional insured. Events will all have their own unique insurance needs.
- Apply for a health permit.
- If cooking using grease is involved you must have Marc McFeron, the city of Bryan Fire Marshall, involved in inspection. Request an appointment by calling (979) 209-5960
- Each establishment must have at least ONE Certified Food Manager. Each subsequent employee handling food must have a Food Handler’s Card.
- To become a Certified Food Manager: Texas Agrilife Extension offers classes and administers the proctored exam. Visit https://foodsafety.tamu.edu/courses/certified-food-manager-training-program-cfm/course-descriptions-costs-registration-forms/ for class schedule.
- To obtain a Food Handler’s Card: http://www.brazoshealth.org/food Cost: $10.00
Things to consider:
- Where will you park your truck? You may not park overnight on public property without written consent of the land’s owner.
- Where will you dispose of your waste and grey water? Renegade has you covered on these fronts as well.
- What about your cooking oil? We have a permitted hazardous waste disposal receptacle.
- Where will you get potable water? Potable water is included in the Food Truck rate.
- I need cold storage for my ingredients! Storage is available by the linear foot.
- My cart doesn’t have a gas range! Can I cook at RBCS and leave with prepared products? Yes! We have one tenant who does just that. Get ready from start to finish with prepping, cooking, packing and cleaning at RBCS and then head out for the day.
- This checklist is just an outline. Do your research and you will be ready to serve Bryan-College Station.